Community Farm & Educational Centre
The following serves as guidelines for our conduct and behaviour as we work towards our vision.
• Foster a safe environment for learning
• Affirm the inherent worth and dignity of every person
• Promote justice, equity and compassion in human relations
• Strive for excellence through evaluation and continuous improvement
• Produce food that is environmentally sustainable, locally desirable and socially responsible.
• Raise awareness on organic and environmentally sustainable food production.
• Promote backyard and empty lot farming.
• Raise awareness on the connection between good food and vibrant health.
• Promote access to fresh food especially to low income families. (“Lets Eat Right Dunnville”)
• Promote “need based” life styles as an alternative to consumerism.
• Empower individuals to empower themselves and others.
• Promote practical pathways to maintaining healthy and vibrant body, mind and spirit.
Shared Harvest Community Farm and Educational Centre is a registered not for profit community farm.
Shared Harvest Community Farm is a certified organic vegetable farm whose mission is to provide families within the community organic produce that is environmentally sustainable, locally desirable and socially responsible. The farm has been in operation since 2010. On approximately 7 acres of fields and mixed gardens we are cultivating over 40 types of vegetables and close to 100 different varieties for an 80 member community shared agriculture (C.S.A.) box program and different local farmers' markets. Next to the fresh produce, we dehydrate, freeze, can, ferment and pickle our produce in our certified kitchen to provide diversity in our share boxes and markets well into the winter. In the fields we are doing a lot of companion planting and raised bed building. The farm will also be doing as much seed saving as time permits. To keep the soil in our 3 year field rotation rich and nutritious we incorporate chickens, compost and botanicals.
Besides growing food for and with the community the farm offers cooking classes, music dinner nights, educational workshops, has an annual "Turnip the Beets" family music festival and a Harmonica Retreat weekend.
The Farm works very close together with Dunnville's Schools and organizes educational farm tours for kids and teenagers, offers COOP positions and the managers are involved in the D.R.E.A.M. Program.
Create a world where all people have access to nutritious, environmentally sustainable and fairly traded food.
We are a group of young farmers, interns and community volunteers who are committed to growing certified organic food for you in an environmentally sustainable way that nourishes our soil, the plants and our bodies.
We hope to teach people about seasonally appropriate foods that grow here during the season. We also hope shareholders will learn how to prepare new exciting vegetables like kohlrabi and purslane. We would also like people to learn the rewards of growing their own food in their backyards with our demonstration plots along the driveway.
Farm Managers: Kevin Hamilton & Sandra Claudi